Friday, December 11, 2009

Tradition, TRADITION!

I love the holidays and love all of the traditions that go with them. As a young married, sometimes I wonder when did our parents & grandparents start their traditions. I want to start our own family traditions, by smooshing some of mine with some of Josh’s, and adding some new things in. But when do we find the time? We’ve got family over here and family over there, and it seems like we are always participating in other people’s traditions. It is great to have family around and people willing to feed you, but sometimes I want to do my own thing. I hope that doesn’t sound bad… =)

I am finding all of these yummy cookie recipes, and I am reading to put on baking shoes! Or maybe my apron. ;) And then, we don’t have a full house, so it’s to justify us keeping all these goodies to ourselves, but then everybody we know is trying to eat healthy (us included!), so I feel like there is a little bit of a predicament going on. Maybe I should find healthy alternative recipes? That’s not a bad idea, but a little indulging is good, too.

This year I know will be a mish-mash of traditions, but maybe that’s what we need to propel us into our own. Josh’s mom is gonna teach me how to bake some of her specialties, and I plan on recreating my Grandma’s Mexican Christmas Eve extravaganza. Which reminds me, I better call and get that enchilada recipe…

There is something magical about traditions. It makes me feel tied to the people and places that I love. As I get older, and the people I love get older, it’s even more important to me to keep these relationships strong,, even just through food, song, movies, and sharing memories. Man, do I sound like a cheese ball! Even though I’m not in California with Christmas by the beach, and Josh isn’t in snow covered Chicago, we can still celebrate family style. A new Hatch style.

In related news… we got a new Christmas tree! We opened ours and there was only one leg, thus the tree would not stand. So we got a bangin’ one that was on sale at Wal-Mart and it is pre-light! MAGICAL! I also got some BOOTS-- I’ve been wanting boots for years, because it’s pretty awful getting the bottom of your pants all soggy and slipping around in Converse. I have joined the ranks of the winter-ly!

My mom introduced me to the Diana Krall radio station on Pandora.com, and now my favorite station is Diana Krall Holiday! It is so nice and fun and jazzy! The PERFECT holiday station! Another good one is Mariah Carey Holiday, but I’m sure you already knew that.

MUCH LOVE! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

1 comment:

  1. That does not sound bad--do your own thing!!! Nate and I have been forced to do our own thing because of distance, and it's been awesome. So, I support you in creating whatever mish-mash of traditions you want to create. It will be wonderful!

    And make the cookies! You can freeze some of the dough if you need to so that you don't have too many at one time. Or give out the extras to your neighbors or your peeps at work. But make them, with or without the apron, you should do it. You'll be glad you did!

    ReplyDelete