Saturday, December 31, 2011

Hip Hop Has Saved My Life

I thought of this idea as I was jamming to the new Kanye West/Jay-Z CD, "Watch the Throne." (Which, by the way, is an AWESOME album. I highly recommend it.)



I really think that people sell rap and hip-hop music short. Many don't give it a chance, because they can't see past the bumping bass. But for me, that's what draws me in. I love the beat, I love the words, and I love the emotion behind it all.

In my recent musings, there is one lesson in particular that has really stood out to me. I don't care who you're talking about, but it seems that all rappers know how to give respect, where respect is due. They honor the memory of fallen friends and fallen heroes.

My latest example is Michael Jackson. Since his death, several people have sung/rapped about him, by throwing one liner shout outs. I think that in the "Watch the Throne" album there are at least three homages to the King of Pop. So, I LOVE Michael Jackson. But not everyone does. Not everyone can see thru or see past the drama, the craziness. Would I expect an MJ shout out from Jay-Z? Or even Kanye? Honestly, no. That's why I've definitely noticed it.

In "Welcome to the Jungle," Jay-Z raps,
"I'm a tortured soul, I live in disguise.                 Rest in peace to the leader of the Jackson 5." 
And how many rap songs reference grandma, 2-Pac, Notorious B.I.G, mamas, and more? SO MANY.

One of my all-time jams is Kayne West's, "Hey Mama." Below is his live Grammy performance (awesome), but definitely check out the album version-- it's a little more rockin, but still full of soul.



And guess what? His mom was still alive when he wrote and recorded this song! You do not have to be dead to get props and respect. And guess who else he mentions in this song? MJ. :)

I feel like so many people are quick to judge others,celebrity or non-celebrity... and it bugs me. People may be different from you, doing different things than you, but everybody deserves respect. Show a little love, and it will go a long way.

Quote of the Week:
Sunny days wouldn't be special, if it wasn't for rain
Joy wouldn't feel so good, if it wasn't for pain.       -50 Cent, "Many Men"

1 comment:

  1. Even before I read this, I have had "Something wrong, I hold my head. MJ gone, our n***a dead!" stuck in my head ALL DAY.

    I totally love this blog post and agree 100%.

    ReplyDelete