Monday, December 5, 2011

Take a Look... It's in a Book!

I have decided that since I am not in a book club and I like to read what I want to read, I'll have my own book club here. Win win! I have recently realized that I need to read for my own sanity. Sometimes reality is overwhelming, and non-fiction books, reality tv, and real life just don't help. Life can just get a little too non-fiction. ;) I love to escape into another world, and I often like to do it through television shows or movies, but there is something about reading a book that take me to a different place. I am able to fully relax and check in to another world. I love it! 

And so, in the past few months, I have read several books: 

Everything on a Waffle, by Polly Horvath: My cousin recommended this book to me, and she was right- I loved it! It's a very cute story that keeps you interested the entire time. I love all of the characters, especially the main girl. There are also recipes at the end of each chapter. Fun! This book is  a real treat! 








No More Dead Dogs, by Gordon Korman: As you can tell, I was on a little bit of a young adult book kick. The basic premise of this story is that the boy in the story is tired of reading books where the dog dies. I thought that was hilarious, and true, so I picked this book up at the library. Another cute, fun story, with colorful characters. There is one part I want to give away, but I won't... Let's just say it involves Julia Roberts and made me happy as a clam! 






The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows: Most everyone I know has read this book, and they have all loved it and raved about it. I sincerely can't help but do the same. I loved every minute of reading this book. I love how it is written in letters, and just sucks you right in. The characters are all very charming, likeable, and funny. I definitely laughed out loud while I read this one. The story is also very serious and has many interesting historical insights. And I was sad when I finished! I wished there was more to read... If you haven't read this, do it! 




And right now I'm reading "The Good Thief" by Hannah Tinti. I haven't finished it quite yet, but I'm close, so I don't have a complete review. All I can say is, this book is crazy! It is all over the place, but I really want to find out what happens to the main boy. I definitely think the last half is better than the first half... I have been reading it a lot more because it has finally gotten exciting. Maybe with this one, I'll do a little more in depth review! 

Til next time!
M

3 comments:

  1. I agree...reading is the best! I love that you posted this and can't wait to read these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Potato Peel Society one is something that has sounded a little too twee to me; I've been scared that I'll hate it! You know me, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hollz- you should DEFINITELY read it! I do think that you will really like it-- I think you'll definitely like the main character, too. DO IT. Then report back. :)

    ReplyDelete